Friday, July 13, 2007

Methinks He Doth Protest Too Much

I'm just sayin'....

I stirred up a hornets nest this morning when I posted a comment on Montana Netroots this morning. jhwygirl posted this regarding the Flag being flown at half mast in honor of a Montana Armed Forces members killed. I innocently agreed that it's a great thing but that it shouldn't be used as an anti-war political statement.

jhwygirl said this at the end of her post "While I’m glad that our Governor has acted so quickly to act on the Congressional act - it will be a sad day when it has to be implemented.

Discuss the war -end the war. Now.

Helena will have a War Referendum on the ballot this fall. Butte’s city council condemned the war in a resolution.

Contact your local representatives and ask that they bring forward a referendum in your city or town or county."

and Shane Mason said, in the first comment "Maybe it will be a reminder to heavily populated states like Texas when the flag flies at half mast everyday."

To me, both comments sound very politically motivated in an effort to amplify the deaths that occur in the war in order to sway public opinion to get out. I even apologized if I misinterpreted the comments by Shane.

Shane got particularly worked up and called me a "creepy little man" then went on to call me an "Ultimate Hypocrite" based on my cutting down Veterans Health Care legislation in my comments from this post.

It has been my experience, when a person feels they're losing an argument, they resort to personal attacks and name calling.

1 comment:

  1. Let me first say, Andy, that I don't know what did or is occurring, technically or intentionally, with regards to your post. I am going to make a call - but if it was intentionally I am sure that Shane will speak for himself.

    That being said, the topic at hand:

    Maybe I should have blockquoted "Discuss the war - end the war. Now.
    Helena will have a War Referendum on the ballot this fall. Butte’s city council condemned the war in a resolution.
    Contact your local representatives and ask that they bring forward a referendum in your city or town or county."

    Those thoughts aren't tied in with the previous comments, and they really weren't intended to.

    You have to admit that it looks pretty awkward.

    I stand by "While I’m glad that our Governor has acted so quickly to act on the Congressional act - it will be a sad day when it has to be implemented."

    Surely you will look at a half-mast flying flag and feel some sadness?

    I'm not sure how you tie that sentence with the 'offending' ending - when it seems clear to me that it is related to the stuff above it.

    Finally, as a idealogical question, Andy - is 'War' not, in and of itself, political?

    ReplyDelete