Here is a quick and shallow analysis, in no particular order, of what I think about the more serious possible and announced 2008 Democrat Presidential Candidates:
Current or former Senators - None are likely to win the nomination or election as Americans don't like or elect senators to the White House.
1. Barack Hussein Obama - Do you really think Americans would elect somebody with a middle name of Hussein and a last name that gets confused with Osama (Ted Kennedy and CNN)?? He is very likable and charismatic but needs to toughen up if he is to be taken seriously. And I think his "unfortunate" name will hurt his chances.
2. John Edwards - I question the intelligence of a candidate who officially announces his candidacy at the worst time on the calendar - the week between Christmas and New Years - when nobody is paying any attention. Plus he's a proven loser as the VP candidate with John Kerry in 2004.
3. John Kerry - Do the Democrats really want a proven loser Presidential candidate who is 0-1? I don't think so. Plus he's just plain boring.
4. Al Gore - See #3 above. Plus he's a boring and loony environmentalist.
5. Hillary Rodham-Clinton - The carpetbagging senator from New York with a lot of Bill Clinton baggage. Do the American people want another Clinton? Plus she is just not likable.
Current or former Governors - Americans seem to prefer Governors so these candidates, in my opinion, would be much stronger candidates.
1. Bill Richardson (New Mexico) - He's popular and likable. He's cut taxes which is helping grow New Mexico's economy. He's also tough on crime, believes in charter schools, and supports free trade (NAFTA, GATT, and WTO) . All of which will hurt his chances with the Left.
2. Tom Vilsack (Iowa) - Who?? Actually, being a popular governor in in a key primary state will help boost his chances. He also seems to be fairly liberal on the issues which will win him support with the Left.
3. Howard Dean (Vermont) - Current chairman of the DNC. Failed in his 2004 nomination bid because he came across as a lunatic. The Left loves him because he is a true blue Liberal.
There are several more but these are the ones that seem to stand out the most right now.