Friday, October 06, 2006

The 2006 Montana Initiatives

The Liberals are feeling pretty smug that they were successful in having three "conservative" initiatives (CI-97, CI 98 and I-154) thrown out but are now upset that their "liberal" initiatives (I-151 and I-153) are being challenged on illegal signature gathering as well.

I think it's great that they are getting a little taste of their own medicine. I hope that our side is shopping for a sympathetic judge as they did for their case. I support the three conservative initiatives and oppose the two liberal initiatives. I am glad my side is fighting to reinstate the three and get the other two thrown out.


Here is my take on the five initiatives:

CI-97: This is the Balanced Budget and spending limit initiative. What is ironic about the Liberal's opposition to this is Tester is campaigning on how important balanced budgets are. I like this because I think having spending limits are important. It will force our legislators to think and work harder to spend my tax dollars more wisely and efficiently. It will, hopefully, eliminate wasteful and sloppy spending. Both Dems and Republicans are guilty of this and I would like to see it end.

CI-98: This is the judge recall initiative. The purpose of this one is to amend the Montana Constitution to provide for recall by petition of state court justices for any reason. The Constitution currently provides for physical or lack of fitness, incompetence, violation of the oath of office, official misconduct or conviction of a felony offense.

Liberals really dislike this one because they count on the judiciary to do most of their work for them. Liberals have been very successful in populating the courts with liberal jurists who will make law from the bench rather than rule on the merits of the case.

I-154: This is the eminent domain initiative. I wrote on this back in August. This one protects private property owners. Liberals want to be able to control what private property owners do with their property.

I-151: This is the minimum wage initiative. Again, I wrote on minimum wage back in July. People who count on the government for a wage increase are people who are poor employees and are not worth more than the minimum.

I-153: This one prohibits state legislators and state officials from becoming licenced lobbyists for 24 months after departure from state government. Liberals want to restrict people from seeking employment. Lobbyists are part of the government process and the most qualified people for organizations to hire are people who understand the system - the former state officials.

Liberal organizations would be hurt by this as they would not be able to hire an influential former state official to lobby for them either.

2 comments:

  1. I-97: This is the Balanced Budget and spending limit initiative. What is ironic about the Liberal's opposition to this is Tester is campaigning on how important balanced budgets are.

    Seriously Andy, aren't you being more than a little disingenuous here? Montana already has a balanced budget law.

    I-153: This one prohibits state legislators and state officials from becoming licenced lobbyists for 24 months after departure from state government. Liberals want to restrict people from seeking employment.

    This is called a strawman.

    People who count on the government for a wage increase are people who are poor employees and are not worth more than the minimum.

    So, you like you cheap plastic crap from Wal Mart?

    No wonder no one comes around here. Pretty lame arguments dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know that Montana already has a balanced budget law. Montana also had a spending cap law that our liberal Attorney General, Mike McGrath, declared unconstitiutional last year. CI-97 will reinstate this cap constitutionally.

    I love Wal-Mart. They provide great retail jobs with great benefits and opportunites for people. They also provide low priced goods and groceries for lower income people. They are a great company.

    Don't be such an elitist, Shane.

    ReplyDelete